- Run for Liz

Tempe, Arizona
Learn to get in touch with the silence within yourself, and know that everything in life has purpose. There are no mistakes, no coincidences; all events are blessings given to us to learn from.
Elisabeth Kubler-Ross
background news updates links guest messages photos video music

Run for Liz
(or bike, swim, hike, walk, whatever...)

click here to read more about the music

Run for Liz Calendar
August 2006

Note: Several people signed up for "every day" or other multiple runs. Their signup is listed below, but are not shown on the calendar unless a run report is submitted (you don't have to send in a run report every time you run for Liz)
Ron in Charlotte
7 8 Asheville George; Phil in Sacramento; June in San Jose; Nancy in Pleasanton; Carlene in Ottowa 9 Marathon John in San Antonio; Kathryn in Ontario,Canada; Karen B in TN; Cheryl Uhrmacher in NE; Annette in ME; Lar' in SC; Elaine in DC; Kecia in St Louis; Tomi in VA 10 Asheville George; Tomi in VA; Joanne in Toronto 11 Kathryn and Drummer in Ontario, Canada; Pam in MN (start) 12 Violet Elder in MI; Marsha Sea; Joanne in Toronto; Billiam in IN ; Kecia in St Louis; MaryD in Hell; Jeanne in MD; Doug in TX; Marjorie in UT
13 Daria in Utica; Debbie in MA; Karen in OR; Dan in Tokyo; Daniel in NYC; Phillip in Sacramento; Linda in Nova Scotia; Elizabeth in VA
14 Brenda in Hollywood, FL; Harriet in NY 15 Linae in FL, Cher in OH; Asheville George; Karen B in TN; MaryD in MI; Sue Z in OH  16 Alvaro in Panama; John in Alberta, Canada; Joanne in Toronto; Kecia in St Louis; Lisa in OH; Kathryn in ON; Cher in OH; Ron in Charlotte; Karen B in TN 17 Patti in St Louis; Asheville George; John in MI; Nancy in CA 18 Joanne in Toronto ; Shawn in Tampa Bay; Christa in NC; Kathryn in ON 19 Chelsea in Canada; Billiam in IN; MaryD in Iceland; Asheville George
20 Kecia in St Louis ; Phil in Sacramento; Violet in MI ; Kathryn in ON; Marjorie in UT 21 Teri will "Kick for Liz" in TX 22 Asheville George; Sue Z; Harriet in NY; Cher in OH; Kitty in WI ; Marjorie in UT 23 Kecia in St Louis; Jeanne; Phil in Sacramento; Karen in WA 24 Barbara in MA; Asheville George; Boyd in TX; Cher in OH 25 Denise in CA; Christa in NC 26 Ron in Charlotte; Billiam in IN: Louise in MI; Kecia in St Louis; Linda in Nova Scotia; Louise in MI; Bonnie in MA; Asheville George ; John in MI
27 Barbara in MA; Joanne in Toronto; Jeanne; Phillip in Sacramento; Violet in MI; Carlene in Ottowa 28 Diane in IN 29 Asheville George; Sue Z; Phillip in Sacramento 30 Kecia in St Louis; Lisa in OH ; Kathryn in ON 31 Asheville George ; John in Alberta (start 7 day backpack); Karen "Birthday Girl" in Calgary; Philip in Sacramento    

Run for Liz Daily Reports -August 2006

Dates on the reports below are the date they were posted, not necessarily the date of the run!

8/31: From Phillip in Sacramento, CA

Liz, I'm just back from doing eight miles. You were in my mind and heart the entire way. You have been there much of this month and I'm a better person because of it. I thank you for that. I thank you for being with me today. I thank you for being with me earlier this month. And I thank you in advance for being with me in the future.

I must confess that I had no idea how far we were going this day. I wanted to take you south along ground we have never walked before. I wanted to take you out towards Land Park and try to describe the beauty that lies along the Sacramento River moving south of my fair city. I wasn't sure how far that would be, but knew we were going.

We walked down Front Street and, instead of turning at Broadway, went straight across and into the main entrance of the park. It's a little upgrade and sure felt good as we walked it. After crossing the railroad tracks and turning left we stopped to read the sign that let us know that this was Miller Park and home of the Capitol City Yacht Club. We continued on down the road for a longer stretch than ever recall it being and then finally reached the spot where the park ends and the levee road begins. As we neared I noticed that construction signs were posted and remembered that the was restoration work being done on the levee. We talked with one of the workmen coming off the levee, a most pleasant chap, and he asked that we continue no further. Since it was said with a smile and wink, we were left with no other choice but to wish him good day and reverse our course. So, your trip to Land Park will have to wait for a later day.

We traveled back along the path towards Front Street, but this time we didn't turn we we reached it. We continued straight and followed the path along a course that would lead us back to the cul-de-sac we strolled on Sunday. As we walked my mind drifted back to the great Friday night races that were once held here...the 39:10 5K I once walked along it. I couldn't help but remember the gallant efforts of the fine folks at Fleet Feet to quickly schedule a 5K to raise funds for the folks who suffered dearly due to 9/11 and the outstanding support they received from the running/walking community of Sacramento. And it drifted back there because you were next to me. You were forcing me to finds ways to describe what this means, what this is about and I thank you for that. I thank you!

As we walked along the cul-de-sac we noticed many people just out enjoying a noontime hour in the park, along the river, feeding the geese or possibly just enjoying the company of someone special. And we will so blessed to be out there enjoying all this. Moving free and easy and not knowing where we would next go, or how far we would travel, but just knowing that it felt so good we just had to get going.

As we circled back on the cul-de-sac and reached the point where we could either continue straight and follow the path we strolled on Sunday or turn right and return along the road we just walked we chose to turn right as be presented us we a longer, more difficult, effort.

Moving out of Miller Park, and about four miles into our walk, and heading back up from street I could hear you saying you didn't want to stop. You wanted to continue on and enjoy this most lovely late August day. And so we did.

We passed "O" Street and our turn back to Crocker and continued on towards the Green Bridge that leads us into Discovery Park. We moved across Capitol Mall and onto the boardwalk alongside the Sacramento River and we noticed that activity of folks out enjoying the fine late summer's day.

Must confess that since we didn't know we would be going this far we had come out with water and were getting a tad thirsty as this point. We are mighty fortunate that there's a drinking fountain at the Sacramento water intake facility not too far down the levee road.

The water was good and provided us with renewed energy as we continued on towards the park. And, Liz, all along the way you were pushing me. Making me want to go farther, put out the effort and I know I wouldn't have done it without you there. Thank you...thank you so very much for being there.

We ventured off the path this day and down a little trail that runs along the river and into the beach area. To be honest, I can ever recall coming this way before. Perhaps once or twice down the first path of the trail, but quickly back up to the path. Today we walked along the trail and beside the river and through the parking lot of the beach and up the hill to the foot of the bridge. It wouldn't have happened without just would have happened. I thank you for that!

We paused briefly at the bridge and you let me know that you wanted to return the way we had come. You wanted to experience that trail again. You wanted to be close to the water, to hear the sounds of the folks enjoying themselves as the cooled off on the warmish late summer's day. And so we did and it was grand. Thank you for making me do that.

The warmth of the sun and the length of our trip were making me thirsty once again. So again we stopped at the drinking fountain. The intake facility sets upon a little knoll and protrudes out into the river. The levee road allows you to by-pass it and rewards those who do will a little up and down. Most days we choose the up and down, today we will visit for the water, then back track for our reward. It' a little longer, a bit harder and it's what you wanted to do! Thank you!!!

Now much more between here and Old Sacramento. Most people have finished lunch and are back at their desks while we are left to enjoy this fine, fine, day. There seems to be a lot of folks milling around in Old Sac. Folks setting up for some event. And it just dawned on me that they are getting ready for Old West days in Old Sac. Its been going on for several years on Labor Day weekend. The truly turn Old Sac back to the gold rush days for that three-day period. Quite the scene, quite the event.

Nearing the end of the boardwalk we are once again giving the choice of going easy or hard. Straight across Capitol Mall or turn left and walk up and around Nesham Circle and under the freeway to Front Street. Since the latter is longer and more difficult it's the path we select. And once again I thank you for being there to help me choose it.

We're now back on Front Street and nearing the end of this day's journey. We have traversed about eight miles. My friend, I truly don't think I would have gone that far had you not been at my side. You provided me the spirit and determination to go on and push myself just a little harder. And I can't thank you enough for that.

Think we shall now take a couple days off. Rest up for Sunday when I hope you will agree to join me again. Think we shall travel alongside the American River for about six months. Hope we see lots of folks so we can smile, wave and shout out a hello. But I know that you will be in my heart and my mind as you are with so many folks these days.

I look forward to taking you with me a week from Sunday as we do the Buffalo Stampede/Migration. I think you will enjoy that course and I'll attempt to provide you will a view of it.

Once again, Liz, thanks for being there. Hope you enjoyed the stroll as much as me. Thank you for being there as its a better walk because of you.

8/31: From Diane Scott, Carmel, IN


Earlier this summer I purchased a new bicycle. Since it had been almost twenty years since I had rode a bike, I was quite amazed (and proud) when I could ride it in a simple circle around the store's parking lot without kissing the blacktop or running into a vehicle as a means of stopping. :-) Most of the summer I have been riding on what we call the Monon Trail, a former railway that has been converted into a quiet tree lined trail that begins on the North side of Carmel and continues approximately fifteen miles to downtown Indianapolis. As my date to ride for you approached, I knew that I had to do a ride that was more challenging for myself and would hold something special for you as you as well.
It was with this thought in mind that I loaded the bike on the back of my Jeep on Monday and headed for the rolling hills of southern Indiana.
I love the quietness of this rural area -- riding along country roads hearing the breeze rustle the leaves in the corn fields as if in song with various birds singing harmony. I meander along these back roads for almost an hour. I passed a beautiful white two story farm house with rocking chairs on the porch just waiting to creak with the joyfulness of companionship at the end of a long day. A farmer waved from his tractor has he loaded a huge round barrel of straw on a wagon that looked two sizes too small for its load. And I couldn't help but smile at a young toddler I passed looking up questioning at his mother while gingerly extending a his small hand holding a sugar cube through the fence for a chestnut mare three times his height as his mother reassured him everything would be okay.
I knew if I was going to make it to my destination that I needed to leave the quietness of the countryside for a moment and cross a busy divided highway. This brief intersection with the hustle and bustle of the highway jolted me back to the real world but I knew it would be worth it for what lay on the other side. I continued to pedal through a small town called Ferdinand and turned east. I struggled a bit up the hills but thoughts of how you have embraced the your own struggles the last three months willed my body to pedal on -- for at the top of the hill to one of the most beautiful and scared places I have ever been. The Monastery of Immaculate Conception.
The Monastery is the home of one of the largest Benedictine communities of women in America with 126 women currently living there --women seeking God through the Benedictine tradition of community life, prayer, hospitality and service to others. As I entered the monastery I walked through a self-guided tour that included a history. It talked about how they offered a model of community based on love and respect for one another and that over the centuries that they adapted themselves to the needs of the culture in which they found themselves. I couldn't help but think of you and your mom when I read - "From this beginning has come forth an endless succession of ripples - waves of energy, spirit and faith - that have touched and changed people's lives." For I know you both touch and change more lives than you can possibly imagine.
I slowly start down the cloister hall that separated the church from the monastery and I for a brief second I feel like I am back in the cloisters of the Abby on the Isle of Iona with your mom.

I turn to enter the sanctuary through heavy wooden doors and my breath is taken away. This picture will give you some idea of the sanctity of this space.but nothing like seeing it in person.

The dome is almost 90 feet high and is surrounded by 16 stained glass windows each depicting different angels.
I sit in silence for a long time sending up prayers for you and your loved ones as I have done all morning long. Then I slowly rise and begin counting the angels in this church sending up a prayer to each one that they continue to watch over you. I counted 90 before I left but I am sure this figure represents only a small fraction of those who are there for you.
I rode through the grounds and came upon a labyrinth cut into the grass. I was told that it was named in honor of Hildegard of Bingen. A 12th century mystic whose writing reflect the internal journey of the sacred. I took a slow meditative walk through it for you and when I finally emerged at the end I surprised by the presence of a passing Sister who said simply - 'Bless you' and I knew it was meant for you so I am passing it on here today. Liz, I hope you enjoyed the peaceful and beauty of the day as much as I did. Continuing to hold you in my thoughts and prayers.

8/30: *jeanne* in chesapeake beach, MD

I wanted to dedicate a novel kind of event to Liz, so I started with the Chesapeake Bay Running Club's anniversary picnic race, the Doughnut Dash 5K on August 12.
CBRC is a small club in southern Maryland, and all active members had a chance to input for the planning of the club's birthday party & summer pot-luck picnic-brunch. Open to all club members, past and present (and their guests), it was to be held at the home of club VP Sue, in a very countrified section of Calvert County, Maryland. (Directions to her house included specifics like "Turn left at the OLD TREE"!)
The Doughnut Dash was this:
Typical out-and-back 5k course
at the 2 water stops there would ALSO be fresh doughnuts.
For every doughnut consumed, 1 minute would be deducted from your final time.
There was a volunteer at the OLD TREE to make sure all doughnuts were entirely eaten by that time (so a runner couldn't just run a fast 5k, then stop by the finish & gobble-gobble him/herself into first place!) Anyone ... um ... er ... UNABLE to keep the doughnuts down would be DQ'd
It was a bright, sunny, hot morning, but not as fiendishly humid as some of our August days this year. The course was mostly on gravel/dirt roads through cornfields, with one nice downhill into the turn-around, then back up past the 2 water-doughnut stations again.
A very, very pretty course under an incredibly blue sky.
We had a writer and photographer from the Washington Post weekend magazine who conducted interviews DURING the race, following us along on bicycles as we munched and ran. Although I wanted to enjoy the full experience of doughnut dashing, heat and humidity are NOT my thing, so I was only able to down one, as I trailed along the back-of-the-pack from the word go, chatting with a runner who was experiencing some nagging hamstring problems. He began to walk after the hill, and I stayed with him, using the walk break to polish off my doughnut. At the OLD TREE, I put on a final sprint and crossed the finish with the littlest CBRC kids shouting encouragement to me as I passed under our gaily-colored CBRC banner stretched across the country road.
After the race, we enjoyed a pot-luck brunch, some native folk dancing demonstrated by club President Liza, chatting with our invited interviewers and guests, with many awards and random prizes. (By the way, the race winner consumed SIX doughnuts, which brought his net time down to one minute faster than the runner who actually crossed the finish line first. A Doughnut-induced victory for the Doughnut Dash!)
It was a very special event, and I know Liz would have enjoyed celebrating CBRC's birthday with us!

8/30: From Kecia in St Louis

Hello Liz!

Saturday was the Gateway of Hope bicycle ride to benefit the Lance Armstrong Foundation. This is a new event in St. Louis and the organizer of the ride is one my MS150 team mates...and he needed
volunteers. Bob and I volunteered to work traffic control and I dedicated my morning to you.

Saturday morning the alarm went off at 5:00 a.m. but I was already awake. The thunder and lighting woke me first. I rolled out of bed and got dressed anyway. The weather person on the TV said the rain would end by 7:00 a.m. I was happy about that because the ride was supposed to start at 7:30.

Bob and I arrived at Forest Park about 7:00 and it was pouring rain. We were given our volunteer t-shirts and traffic signs. At 7:30 we went to our designated intersection but the rain continued. And it wasn't just
a was a hard soaking rain!

The one good thing was that we were stationed in front of St. Louis' newest sculpture outside the zoo called Animals Always. It is amazing! It was originally designed for the Central Park zoo, I think, but that deal fell through and it sat around the artists studio for years. Then one day a lady from St. Louis saw the renderings and donated the million dollars needed to give it to our zoo. Animals Always is 130 feet long, and 36 feet high. It's made from 100 tons of steel. It took 14 flatbed trucks to get it here. They had to use cranes to set the many of 1300 parts in place. It depicts 60 animals - 11 of which are penguins! It was wonderful to have time to really spend with this amazing piece of art!

But the rain never stopped. Only a few hard core cyclists showed up. Bob and I were on the family course and there were no families. After standing in the rain for an hour the event organizer came by and suggested we leave. We were drenched!!! It took a hot shower and several cups of coffee to knock off the chill.

I would not normally volunteer to stand in the pouring rain for an over hour...but for you Liz I gladly did it. Hopefully next year will be sunny and dry!

Oh yes, while very few cyclists were out...we watched a non-stop parade of runners go by. Runners, yeah we're different!


8/30: From Kathryn Lye, St. Catharines ON

Dear Liz,
John and Drummer and I were out early this morning to walk in the meadow. The dew was heavy on everything, even the trees. The sun was shining through all the drops of water. The air was cool and moist. It was definitely a Hallelujah Morning!
I breathed deeply and thought I was going to float away. It really was that good. You were in my heart and in my thoughts as I moved through the morning light listening to all the birdsong. I am sending healing thoughts your way

8/30: From Lisa Whipps, Columbus, OH

Hi Liz,
I always think about you when I am doing my speed work on Wednesdays, maybe because it is quieter and I can be alone with my thoughts. I pray for a lot of people during this time including you.

Anyway the last time I ran speed work for you it didn't go so well so I thought I would try again.
Today was a perfect day to run. It was overcast and 60 degrees. I took my daughter to school and stayed to run on the high school track. As I was warming up the band came out to practice so I had plenty of company.
This is my last week of speed work before our marathon so I wanted to make it count. I planned on running 8x800's but I was going to see how it felt and not feel bad if I couldn't do it.
Well it was awesome. I felt strong until the end, and I even managed an under 4 minute 800 for my 8th repeat. In between repeats I would jog around the track and pray.
I am so happy that I can give you a good report. I feel the strength of God and my friends when I am running especially today, so I wanted to celebrate that with you.

Have a wonderful time at the beach. My family and I will do something special on Sunday to celebrate your day.

8/29: From Phillip in Sacramento:


Good day. Hope you're ready for a little stroll. We've been given a
glorious day and I see no reason to waste all of it sitting around the
apartment. Figure we will amble out to Discovery Park, but not yet sure how
far we will venture in.

It's a great day here, a little after 11 a.m. and we are just reaching
seventy degrees. The tree limbs were moving earlier this morning. While
they have backed off a little it still means this day will be influenced by
the marine layer that led Mark Twain to remark that the coldest winter he
ever spend was a summer in San Francisco. All of which means we probably
won't venture much into the 80s on this late August day.

There's a lot of activity over at Crocker this morning. I was out earlier
and there were hoards of school children paying a visit to the venerable
institution and several local artists applying paint to canvas to create
some wonderful portraits of the grand old Victorian that houses some
magnificent works of art. And it appears they are still there as we hit our
starting point this Tuesday.

Liz, lets make this an easy one. Rather go a little farther and take the
pace off a tad this day. We went quite far on Sunday and makes no sense to
over do it. Rest the body another day and come Thursday we can ramp it up a
little bit. Getting close to the Stampede and it makes no sense to overdo
it now. So, lets do a nice sixteen minute pace for the first mile and then
lower it a little after that.

Oh, how far are we going? Not sure yet. It's so nice and we are walking
easy. Let's do this, we walk out to the park and decide when we get there.
Sound okay? Good. Let's go.

Gosh, can tell from the start that this is going to be a good one. Doesn't
seem to be a lot of folks out, but that's their loss, not ours'. You're
right it might be a little early, so time will tell.

This is wonderful, feel the breeze? Harbinger of fall is correct.
Sacramento is such a lovely city in the autumn. We get just enough coolness
that the trees show some sign of the seasonal change and we are only a short
drive away from viewing a true scene of fall. Yes, you're right, I love
this city and region. Found a home here. Nice home.

We're moving nicely. No reason to worry about time, so let's just stroll.
Few folks joining us as we move north towards the park. A couple boats on
the river. We're about six weeks off from the Salmon Festival and that's
when both the Sacramento and American will be jumping with both fish and
folks trying to hook 'em!

Those folks who just ran by are moving good. Far better than I ever did
when I was running. But, and somehow I suspect you know this, running or
walking is more than about speed. It's the beauty of being out and working
to improve yourself. Setting goals and try to reach them. Competing
against the only person you need to compete with...yourself. Yes, you're
right, speed distinguishes runners/walkers, desire defines them. Like your

Wow, we must be moving well, there's the Jiboom Street bridge ahead. Walk
across and we will be in the park. What? How far? Good question. Let's
do six. Takes us a little further into the park than you've gone, but it's
such beautiful day.

While we've seen a few folks, we sure haven't bumped into many. Think most
of them are behind us and given where we're going I doubt we will be seeing
them today.

We've moved under Interstate 5 and around the bend. The spot that was
jammed by folks on bicycles Sunday is empty with the exception of some folks
working on the park. A couple runners are heading are way. They must have
gotten out early and gone long. Great day for it.

Approaching the half-mile marker and there appears to be no one out at the
archery range. Slow day in the park. Let's keep on trucking.

The part we're now walking is one I just to visit every Sunday. Use to do
all my long walks along this route. Takes be as far along the path as I
ever want to go. Once did a round-trip from Crocker to Watt. A distance I
measure at about 24 miles. And have done numerous 10, 12, 14 miles jaunts
out this way.

However, much of this lower end of the trail, from about the 1.5 mile mark
until you reach mile 6 passes through less than desirable territory. Places
that have become increasing less safe as my city has grown and are now best
avoided unless traveling with others. And, since it's also more scenic the
further you move up the trail, that makes us very happy to begin most of our
Sunday walks at the eight mile mark!

Okay, we're here. The one-mile mark of the path. Let's click the watch,
turn around and move on back towards Crocker.

Still moving good and do your feel the breeze that just greeted us as we
turned. Didn't feel it when our back was turned, but as we turn back into
it and walk towards the southwest it sure provides a gentle cooling.

I see a runner up ahead. He's stopped. It's Chris, one of the folks who's
normally out on a weekday. He's stretching out. Let's chat him up for a
second. Yes, it is a nice day. Good day to out and getting some exercise.
You doing the Stampede on the 10th? Oh, you don't compete anymore. Just
like getting out and running. Wow, you've been doing this for 39 years?
That's impressive, I've being at it since 1991 myself. Well, hope you have
a good day. Been nice chatting with you. See you later in the week.

We're alone again. Gosh, we're moving well. Not sure what that pace is.
Figure somewhere in the high 14s and it sure feels good.

Back at the archery range. My, my, some folks just pass us heading back in.
Moving real well. They must have gone of quite a ways. One guy just flew
by...let's give him a "good pace" shout out.

We've move up the road about a tad and the chap we just yelled to is walking
back this way. He smiles as we pass and I guess he's out doing repeats.
Yep, just ran past again and still moving strong.

Bridge up ahead. Stop and get some water. Breeze really picks up as we
cross. Can't say it enough, great day to be out and about.

Still aren't seeing a lot of folks. Guess I was right and we missed them.
Couple runners here and there and all seem friendly. Looking off to the
left as we move in I can't help but think how this city has changed since I
moved here. Never had a skyline then, but sure do now and it will only
grow in the coming years. The area of Front Street we walked Sunday will
be developed in the next few years, as will the area right across the
Sacramento River from us now, West Sacramento in Yolo County, as riverfront
living is a very enjoyable way of life.

We're moving back on the boardwalk now. Won't be long before we cross over
Capitol Mall, walk down Front Stet and turn down "O". Been quite the day
out here. I'll check the time as we reach our stopping point...think we
walked a tad over six miles and it shows the splits of 46:03 and 45:58.
That's not too shabby for a couple souls just out enjoying a late summer's
stroll. Not too shabby at all.

My friend, it has been grand having you with me. I would truly enjoy having
you join me again later this week as there's a new route I want you to join
me on.

I can only conclude my reminding you that you are in the hearts and minds of
many. There is much love pouring your way from some very fine people.
That's it's flowing to a very special person seems only fitting. You will
remain in my thoughts and prayers until we walk again.



P.S. Started to check for typos, but that's almost like cheating! :-)

8/29: From Barbara Grandberg, Somerville, MA

Hi Liz...I finally have my email back so I can now thank-you for joining me on our adventures to New York......On Thursday the 24th we got up at 4:00 and took the 7:00 bus down to NYC for the number pick up...Since I sleep better on the bus and was originally supposed to go with a friend, this first trip does make sense...Love the energy of New York..(I just don't like their sports teams..I'm a homer..I also disagree with Ron...Boston has the best marathon..But I digress..I'm also not as articulate as other folks in the group...) We stopped at Starbucks and then went to Rockefeller Center, were we volunteering for the Jumpstart Reading program...I may have retired but there is still a teacher in me...and it's nice to be with the kids and not be responsible for everything.....Did some bag stuffing and helped some young ones but together their A, B, C picture books..Got a cool t-shirt...Then off to the Nike store for number pick up....We got our number, chip, and technical t shirt.....Plus had to buy a really cool 1/2 marathon cotton t....Then we walked back to Port Authority and took the bus home.....On Saturday we left at 10:00 to walk to Davis Square and get on the subway and back to the bus station for the 12:30 a.m. bus.....Got into Port Authority at 4:30....Ended up taking a cab to the start.....It was cool and overcast..Perfect running weather....Oh..did you know we were running a half marathon???? Did a loop and a 1/4 around Central Park...First race where I needed to dodge horse manure...Then out to 7th Ave and the rain...It was sooo cool running down 7th Ave and 42nd St.....Then down the highway....We went out too fast, but we finished with a smile and a sense of accomplishment.......Felt like it was another mile to get the medal, chip removed, water gatorade and my bag...Then we walked back to Port Authority, stopping at a Starbucks of course....Thanks for joining me Liz...And hang in there.....Barbara

8/28: From Joanne Boustead, Toronto, ON

Hi Liz,
Sunday, Aug. 27th - OCup Mountain Bike Race. I really wanted to do well in this race, as I dedicated it to you. It didn't turn out the way I had planned, however. I rode the course the day before with my son, and I went head over my handlebars onto the ground. I scraped the whole shin on my right leg and wow, did it sting! The first aid guy happened to be driving by when I fell and saw me sitting on the trail. He came over and declared that nothing was broken but he wanted to clean and dress my injury. I reassured him and my son that I could still ride my bike and we went back to the first aid building. I needed a little break after that, because my leg was throbbing, so we went and found my husband and daughter, who were having lunch. Robert really wanted to finish the course, so after about 30 minutes, we got back onto our bikes and slowly pedalled through the entire course. I was exhausted when we finished, as every pedal stroke hurt but we finally finished riding.
The next morning my leg wasn't as painful, so I got up and got ready to ride. We stopped at Tim Hortons for bagels and I had a coffee. When we arrived, I put on my cycling shoes, helmet and gloves and pedalled down to the start. I was pretty nervous, but saw one of the girls from my cycling club and talked to her for a few minutes.
We started off and after a few minutes, I realized that I must have damaged my bike when I fell. I started having trouble shifting my gears and it's a very hilly course. You really need to shift a lot. I did about half of the first lap and was very frustrated. I really did want to finish the course, but I was fighting against my bike and not having a good time. I finally took my bike off the course and informed the course marshalls that I needed to DNF. My first DNF, but I wasn't feeling safe on my bike and I didn't want to take the chance of having an accident with a bike that wasn't mechanically sound. My leg was also bothering me, so it just wasn't my day.
My husband inspected my bike once I returned from the course, and he noticed that my handlebars were also crooked. Who knows if I did anything else, so the bike will be going to the bike shop tonight. The kids had a great time playing while I was out on the course and my husband was very supportive, so we made the best of it. We still had a great weekend as a family and enjoyed a weekend outside of the city. It wasn't the race that planned, Liz, but it was the race that I ended up with. It was still a learning experience and I still feel positive about it. Thanks to you, I am trying to live in every minute of every day joyfully.

8/28: From Joanne Boustead, Toronto, ON

Hi Liz,
August 18th report. This late in coming, because I was away on holiday in Quebec, but I got up early that Friday and ran for an hour on the country roads near my Mom's house. It was cool and quiet, and I really enjoyed seeing the mountains in the background. It's very, very hilly there, as my Mom lives halfway up a mountain, but it's refreshing! It was a wonderful start to my day

8/28: From Carlene Paquette, Ottawa, Canada

Sunday morning was the Graham Beasley Memorial run and it was very wet out.
I detest running in the rain, but we were racing so I tried to ignore it and set out for the race site. The run was an 8K on a new route - a mix of quiet streets in a business park and gravel trails through the woods. We were alone for most of the run which gave me the time to pray with you.
Together we savoured the signs of approaching fall - golden rod, purple asters flowers, and milkweed pods going to seed. We saw a few trees with their leaves turning yellow, orange and red. Though we looked for animals, the drizzle and crowd of runners must have scared them away and the trails were silent. Finally the clock arrived and we really didn't have any sprint to give... 46:10 and the run was over. We cheered for a few others, ducked inside to grab a bagel and cream cheese and put on my running jacket.
Then zipped back outside to watch the kids race. There were 16 kids and just as the 1K run started, it really started to pour. Luckily the kids didn't mind. We got soaked standing there cheering for the children, but it was worth it to see their faces. Last was little Natasha who was only
2.5 years old and full of JOY. All the kids got blue ribbons which they quickly turned into crumpled messes. Ah well... at least the kids enjoyed them. Went back inside for the awards and door prizes and won a book on running. (I plan to read the inspiring stories section at the back and then pass the book along to one of the new ladies who has started with our running club.) Went home to get cleaned/warmed up and then put together a package. My race shirt is on it's way to you. I hope the postal folks don't take too long to get the parcel to you. Thanks for racing with me and helping me to carry on through the tough spots. I appreciated having your spirit along for the run.
Flipper hugs

8/28: From asheville george, Asheville, NC

Hi Liz. Since I'm a few days behind on reporting our runs, I guess I better get busy here and catch up. Thursday was the normal "o-dark-30 4 miler in N. Asheville, without much to see in the dark. Everyone felt good so I guess that meant it was a success. On saturday you were with us when we ran the Springmaid Splash, a 10K trail race up and over Humpback Mountain NC. IT WAS TOUGH!!! Started out flat with 2 stream crossings in the first mile. The water was not over knee deep, but the rocky creek bed kept most of us walking vs running. The next 3.5 miles or so was up the mountain, some on gravel roads, some on single track. I hate to say we had to walk a little, but walk we did. The last 1.5 was down hill, mostly single track. We crossed the creek 2 more times on the way to the finish, and I seriously thought about just giving up the ghost and floating down stream. Didn't quit, because I know you won't. Anyway, I dragged in at about an hour 21 minutes, thankful to be finished. The day was perfect for running. It was 58 at the start, and at least 5.5 of the 6.2 miles were in the shade. The 4 creek crossings were a pleasant surprize, and simply the camraderie was great. Hope you had a good weekend Liz. hang in there kiddo.

8/27: From John in MI

Hi Liz and friends,

Yesterday, I ran in the Somerset Stampede Half Marathon (Somerset
Center, near Jackson, Michigan). It was the first year for the race
which also included a 5k run and a 5k walk. It was a nice hilly
course about evenly split between paved and gravel roads with a mile
or so of dirt trails thrown in just before the finish line.

There were about 100 runners in the half marathon, about 70 in the 5k
run and another 30 in the walk. It was a hot and humid morning with a
7:30 start time. My time was a bit slower than usual for a half but
finishing is finishing. I was happy to participate in this new race.
It was my sixth half marathon of the year.

I reached a milestone on my Sunday morning run today. My six-miler
put me over the 800 mile mark for the year.

My thoughts are with you, Liz on every run I do now. You give me
strength and I try to return it back to you.

8/27: From Phillip in Sacramento


Good Morning! Thanks for agreeing to walk with me on this Sunday. I think you will enjoy the route as it encompasses both some old and new territory. While in the past our Sunday strolls have taken us along the banks of the American River, we will be traveling a different way this day.

I found out yesterday that the Fleet Feet training group was meeting up in my neck of the woods this day and figure that walking near the group might allow me to catch a tad of their energy. So, we shall follow part of their route this day.

They're meeting at a place called Miller Park. Miller Park is about a mile south of my apartment complex, sits along the Sacramento River and serves both a park and marina. It's also marks the approximate halfway mark in the upcoming Cowtown Marathon/Half Marathon. Let's walk over and see if we know anyone.

We start our walk at Crocker Park and head easy. Yes, just like we do when we head to Discovery Park. Only difference is that we will turn left on Front Street and head south. There's not much along Front Street as we head towards Broadway and turn into the park. We walk by the animal control site, a few oil storage areas, Interstate 5 is off to our left and Sacramento River on our right. What is barren now probably won't be so in five to ten years as urban/riverfront growth to my fair city. But, guess that's a different story for another time. That's just continue walking the .75 mile down to Broadway.

Liz, legs are feeling good this morning. Taken three days off from hoofing and think the rest has done me some good. Moving well and think it's going to be a good day.

We've just hit Broadway and turned right and will now head into the park. Be careful, lots of cars coming this way. Large training group they've assembled this year. Talking with the owner of Fleet Feet yesterday and he told me that they had both more people sign up and more people showing up this year. Good group of coaches they have and they do an excellent joy of getting these folks ready for both Cowtown and the California International Marathon in December.

I've just clicked my watch at one mile and it shows 15:56. Not bad for a first mile and, since my distance monitor measures a mile at a longer distance than a mile, it's a little quicker than the time would indicate.

We're in the park and up ahead I can sit the meeting point. Hold on for a second, see a buddy of mine I need to talk with and want to find out what route the group is taking. Okay, said hello to my friend and found out that they will be heading back towards Discovery Park. Perfect!

The road that we're on is a cul-de-sac and as we near the end we have a flock of geese off to our left. Think we will bare right and avoid and contact. And we are moving right along...stride is flowing.

Now we have turned around and are heading north. We pass by the group, we are still meeting and set our sights on Discovery Park, which lies about 2.5 miles north of Miller Park.

We are now back on Front Street and just passed two miles. Wow, turned the last mile in 14:46. Yes, moving and feeling good.

The portion of Front Street we're on has many memories. It use to be part of the old Sacramento Marathon/Half Marathon route. It's the only part of the course with any elevation and it always use to wipe me out. I've learned to handle it these past couple years, but still have a great deal of respect for it.

Yes, you're right, that is the group to our left. Guess they decided to run on top of the levee. Much easier. No, while you're right, we won't call them wimps! :-)

We just clicked off another mile and it shows 14:31. Still feeling strong and two weeks before the Buffalo Stampede that can only be taken as a good sign.

Okay, they're running out of levee as the railroad tracks crowd out the running run and they appear to be heading down the old way into Old Sacramento. It cuts under both I5 and Capitol Mall plus adds a little more up and down. Good we will follow them.

Interesting, they're not heading to the levee, they're running Front Street. Since it doesn't seem like such a bad idea, as it avoids the boardwalk, we'll continue to follow.

That restaurant on the left is the Firehouse. Been there a long, long, time. And at one time it was a firehouse. Now serves as one of the nicer eating places in this city. Good food, great service and a wonderful place to take someone you want to impress. This old dog has had more than a couple wonderful evenings. But, here again, a story for a different time and place. We shall march on.

Yes, we are still on Front Street. It's Old Sacramento's main street and you can see all the tourist places it has. Various eateries, coffee joints, candy places, couple of this, couple of that, and all that's necessary to extract a few bob from a visitor's wallet.

We are coming out of Old Sac at the Railroad Museum and are now back on the levee. Correct, the path we always walk to Discovery. And, you're right again, it is a beautiful late August morning. Fall is in the air, but yet the early morning warmth lets us know that summer will be here this afternoon. It's my city at its best and it should remain this way for the six to eight weeks.

We have just finished another mile. My, my, we are moving along. By my watch it shows we covered it in 13:40. Can't recall when I felt this good.

Normal stuff now. Folks from the group are passing us by. But the walking group has caught up with us. Probably me waving and saying hello to them on our way back.

We have just crossed the bridge and are in the park. See those folks off to our left. Seems like a lot of bikers are taking a break. See a lot of water and stuff, so it must be some kind of organized event. Wow, bikers, runners, walkers all sharing the path on a Sunday. Must be Sacramento.

My friend, during my ramblings are still just sailing as the watch showed us doing them in 13:48 and 13:43. And we have now reach the zero mile marker in the park and have two miles left before we are once again at Crocker.

We moving up the ramp toward the bridge. Want to be mindful not to lose stride or slow down. Passing by some walker from the group. Saying hello and smiling. Even a grump like me has to smile on a day like this.

Moving, moving, moving. There's some life on the river, but now as much as there will be in a couple months with the fish begin to flow. Quite the sight a certain times of the year, especially when the salmon are running.

Liz, another mile gone. Time? Oh, 13:47. Means we've recorded four straight under 14. Can't complain much about that, can we??

One more mile to go. Let's give it a go. Pick up the pack. Finish this thing strong. Liz, feels good. Still moving strong. We will go back the way we came. Back up Old Sac, up the little incline. We're back on Front Street, closing in one O Street and our turning point back to Crocker. We have two blocks left as we turn and we're moving strong. We we Let's see what we did that last mile in. Liz, Liz, Liz...we pumped it. We did that last mile in 13:05 and finished strong!!!!

Another one is in the books. My friend, thank you so much for joining me on this Sunday. I hope the rest of this day is as good for you as you have made the first part good for me. We shall do this again in a couple days. Until then you will remain in both my thoughts and prayers.



P.S. You guessed it, I 'taint checking for typos.

8/27: From Linda Tippett-Leary, Nova Scotia, Canada

Hi Liz. Hope you are doing well today.
You don't know me, I am relatively new to the Penguin list and relatively new to fitness as well. I want you to know, however, that there is not a day that goes by that I don't think of you and pray for you and your family - for enough strength to make it through that day and for an early end to this very challenging "marathon" you are now racing.
I am still quite heavy and am a real slow walker. I have not walked much since my last race two weeks ago, and yesterday wasn't the greatest outing I have ever had. It was, however, special in that I was walking in Point Pleasant Park in Halifax.
Point Pleasant is right on the outside of Halifax, Nova Scotia, along the shore. Don\'t know if you are familiar with my province, but we are a penninsula, you are never far from the sea in Nova Scotia.
Point Pleasant was well named, full of lush, beautiful trees, with many trails and lots of historical monuments as well, left over from the war. However, it was ravaged in 2003 by Hurricane Juan.
Here in Nova Scotia, we are quite sheltered from most weather extremes and I am sure that folks in Florida and other areas where hurricanes are common must think we were making much ado about nothing, but it was the most serious storm we have had in 50 years. Touted as a Category One, it came in as a Category Two and did, in some areas, Category Three damage (killed at least three people). Point Pleasant was hit very hard.
For a time, it looked like the park was lost - as about 70% of its trees were destroyed, we thought we might be looking at a large parking lot. There is still lots of discussion as to how to restore it, and yesterday was my first visit since the storm.
The park is almost on a 90% slope and I parked on the upper parking lot, almost an hour later than I had planned (note to self, drag your butt out of bed Linda - it is more than worth it). I started off and noticed, right away, how much more "open" the park is - one of the monuments that never even used to be visible unless you followed the path to get to it is now plainly in the open and, lets put it this way, there are much better water views now. The sparse trees were hard to get used to at first.
Everybody and their dog (literally, I saw lots) were out that day. With baby carriages and leashes. One runner, with a T shirt from our most recent Halifax marathon event (I have one too - I did the 5 k) kept circling around - I saw him several times. Alas, my breathing was not great (it is getting quite cool and "fall like" here, which I love, but I need to adjust my asthma meds to the fall dosage) and getting around was tough, but I was determined to do it. I had to get around the circumference (about 4k) at least once for you.
I took a few "bunny trails" - there are paths every which way in this park, but eventually, no matter where you go, you are headed down, down, down. Quite a challenge on the way up, I think that will be next time!
Then you hit a flat spot, about 1.5 k in length, along the shore. There used to be a beach there called “Black Rock Beach” - never all that spectacular, it was always pretty cold and rocky. Now you would be taking your life in your hands if you tried to swim there, because there is so much pollution in the harbour. There is a clean up in place now.
After you pass the beach area, you go up a bit and then down. You are in the lower parking lot and you pass the office of Shakespeare By the Sea. This is a neat theatre production company, putting on Shakespearean performances all though the park, and some other things as well, this year, they are performing the Wizard of Oz also. Some are quite spooky - one time, they did MacBeth (one of my personal favourites) in the Martello Tower, one of the historical landmarks in the park. They had the audience follow them all through the tower at night, a little unnerving, but tres cool.
After you get out of the lower parking lot, it is up, up, straight up. By then I am wheezing big time (next time we take our fall dosage!) and climbing this hill is a big challenge. Considered calling a taxi or getting my friend Sue to drive me up the hill - oh no, no wimping out here is allowed.
I got to my car and decided not to push it and go around again like I planned, a shorter walk, and a little disappointing, but all I was capable of that particular day. I have not been getting too many shorter walks in during the week and that is essential, cannot dazzle in the long walks if you don’t do the leg work leading up.
The park, however, is amazing. There are still birds and little critters, new trees are growing (I have some seeds that I am going to scatter there next time) - even though we may think something is dead, nature has such a way of springing to life doesn’t it? We lost a tree at our house (split and fell on our roof, thank heavens it just caused superficial scratches) and now a little one is growing in its place.
You, too, will “rise again”, I believe. I look forward to reading your “race reports” soon.
There are so many of us pulling for you Liz - out there running, walking, biking, swimming or, in my case, just dragging my huge body around. A year or so ago, I could not even walk around a shopping mall, two weeks ago, I did a five mile race (actually 8.53 k, according to my Garmin). The body can do miraculous things.
Look at the calendar for encouragement Liz - here in Canada there are folks from Nova Scotia to Toronto to Alberta out here for you. In the United States, I see folks from California across the country.
I want you to know how you and your family inspire me and us all. Have a blessed day.

8/27: From Debbie Askwith, Feeding Hills, MA

Hello Liz. It's amazing that someone I've just come to know about in the past few months has touched my heart and soul as you have.
Each day when I sit at my computer I'm being watched by a photograph of another stranger-friend, Greg Osterman. He too has inspired me. Greg was featured in a brief blurb in Runner's World a few years back. (I think 2002) Like you, he has completed a few marathons, an amazing feat for one and all. However, Greg did his marathons seven years after having a heart transplant. Unbelievable? There's more. After his heart transplant he was diagnosed with non-Hodgkin's lymphoma. To treat the cancer his gallbladder and portions of his small and large intestines were removed. He still runs, Liz. You will too!
I've posted my Chicago Distance Classic race report on the Penguin Group site for you, as well as a few pictures. (Rather long report) I succeeded because of you. "Liz isn't giving up," I told myself. Neither would I. Two signs along the race course moved me. "FINISH THE COURSE; RUN BY FAITH" and "YOU ARE ANOINTED TO FINISH." Liz, I understand that you will soon have completed your course of radiation and I believe you're anointed to recover. That's not only my prayer each day, but the prayer of hundreds of people who know and love you. You're going to have one hell of a scream team at your next marathon.
Enjoy your time at the beach this coming weekend. Feel the love and healing rolling in to you on each wave.

Dead-last Debbie

Here is Debbie's report as posted to the PenguinRunners list:

The passenger next to me, a physician, was excited about his conference in Chicago, and queried as to the nature of my trip. "I'm doing the Chicago Distance Classic - a half marathon."

"You run?" he asked astonished. (NOTE: my remark to him was that I was DOING the CDC) At 5'6" and 240 lbs, I don't look like a typical runner. He'd be even more surprised to learn I "run" with grade three chondromalacia in my right knee,(grade four wins you a knee replacement) asthma, and a few other inconveniences.

"I've already completed three half marathons, and with a heart rate of 175bpm sustained for up to four hours, my heart is running even if my feet ain't" He chuckled and wished me luck.

The Friday night I arrived was perfect. The air was uncharacteristically cool, clean, the lights of the skyscrapers
twinkled, and a vibrant crowd was dancing in the park across from the Hilton. I sat on the sidelines, as I often do, and enjoyed the music. But then I remembered this wasn't my night, this was Liz's. What would SHE do if she was here. I thought you'd dance, so I did. Yup, got up on the parquet floor in the park and did the
Electric Slide. Liz, promise me you'll go to Chicago when you're all better and redeem me by dancing in-step with the rest. Deal?

Race day was here. I took my place at the back of the pack. Liz, I was so apprehensive about completing the race because I hadn't trained at all. Not a lick! Zilch! Zippo! Behind my sunglasses my eyes welled up with tears of disappointment in myself and fear I'd fail to complete the CDC.

BANG! We were off and running! The crowd was cheering, encouraging signs were being waved, and I was actually running - for two whole blocks. That's it. A group of people, perhaps from a local church, held pre-printed signs such as: "Finish the course. Run by Faith." Liz, I'm not a God fearing person, yet, for some
reason those signs touched me in a profound way. My tears were now replaced by my mantra: Each step toward the finish - a victory in itself."

The first half of the race was actually blissful. No wheezing, no pain from the knee operated on eighteen months ago, and still a few runners about me to share the journey. When I turned to head up to the lakefront portion of the race, those inspiring signs were back. I ambled over and asked permission to take photographs. "You
are anointed to finish," I read aloud. "Praise Jesus!" the woman shouted as she gave me a high five, and I got goose bumps. It was easily 82 degrees, and there I was shivering with goose bumps.

My lack of preparation really showed itself in that long sunny stretch along the lakefront path. Thank God for the great volunteers at the water stops who's enthusiasm was more nourishing than what was in the cups. Somewhere around mile nine, a race crew member on bike called in my bib number on a walkie-talkie. She, my bike angel, stayed with me offering water, wet sponges, and encouragement.

The clock at the mile 13 marker read 4:00. The race was over. I asked a volunteer to take my picture and pressed on. That last tenth of a mile seemed like ten. Ahead was a pedestrian underpass with GRANT PARK engraved on it. From beneath it an official in a golf cart came through and demanded that the runner twenty feet
ahead of me get in.

"The race is over, you can't finish. We have to close the course." The female runner refused to get in the cart. Despite the official's numerous demands, the runner held her ground.

"She better not bother me," I told my Bike-Angel. She did.

"You have to get in," she demanded.

"NO! I sobbed like a four year old, "I'm not getting can't make me!"

Frustrated that she couldn't sway the other runner or myself she continued with, "Well, you're not getting a finisher's medal."

That hurt. I countered with a tearful, "I don't care. I'm finishing." Brunhilda gave up and radioed ahead that we wouldn't get off the course.

Once I went through the underpass, I was in the finishers chute. Was the road open to traffic? Were they done disassembling the race course? Hell no! The clock was still ticking and the PA system was still pumping out sweet music.

The scene in the chute was quite surreal. People were busy milling about the whole length of the chute, oblivious to my presence as I pressed on. The conversations and traffic sounds nearby seemed muted. "You're anointed to finish," I reminded myself.

Through the surreal quiet came the voice of Louis Armstrong over the PA system,enticing me to the finish line with, "I see skies of blue...clouds of white...bright blessed days...dark sacred nights..." My battered body was lifted by his song as I made a defiant stomp over the finish line.

"....and I think to myself, what a wonderful world...oh yeahhh!"

P.S. I got my medal
Dead-last Debbie
bib 1107

8/27: From Violet Elder. Ann Arbor, Michigan

Hi Liz (and Joyce): I was supposed to bike 40 miles this weekend, but we were beset with thunderstorms, and bicycles + thunderstorms just don't work for me. So I spent the weekend in the gym, and there is simply not much inspiration to share from that. I did log about 22 miles for you.
Last night Millard and I hosted a "mini-encounter" with Mary D., Kathryn Lye, and Karen B. We spoke of you and your battle, and offered a toast to the return of your health. It made me think about the power of these friendships, forged over the internet with people you don't see until you happen to encounter with them. For me, the meeting part is always amazing; you feel a connection to these total strangers because you have read and felt their thoughts, shared their battles, supported them through pain. We are, in so many ways, so much more than a running group. Many of us are just kindred spirits.
At any rate, Liz, I'm praying that this week is the one where you will feel stronger and the pain will abate. We're here for you, just know that. And Joyce--as a mother of another precious daughter, one who suffers from a chronic ailment that could be life threatening, I am also praying for you as well. I'm sending you a hug, via cyberspace, to give you strength to help Liz through this.

8/27: From Louise, Charlevoix, MI

Lizzie, another hard run in for you, a 10 mile race that I wasn't sure I could finish. I wore your website on the back of my shirt, and several people stopped me and asked about it. So additional people will be praying for you too. A man in an elevator asked me. I told him to say some good words for you. He promised he would.
I found this quote in my email yesterday: "A strong positive mental attitude will create more miracles than any wonder drug." Patricia Neal
Sometimes it's hard to keep a positive mental attitude, even when you are NOT sick. Hang tough!
I hope the medications are over soon, and you can begin your recovery without all those side effects. Be strong. You\'ll be back out on the roads with us soon.

8/26: From Ron Horton, Charlotte, NC

I'm not sure why I even tri-it any more. I know the results ahead of time. I'm REALLY slow in the water, I cruise on the bike (though not very fast), and I hang on for the run. But they do offer a relief from just running all the time, so I still go out there and give it my best shot. But THIS Tri was different - this one was for YOU, Liz. This one gave me a reason to look forward to it, to savor every moment of the day.
I don't believe that anyone else has taken you along for a tri, so Saturday morning (8/26) we did just that at Lake Norman, north of Charlotte. It was a Sprint Tri, 750m open water swim, 30K bike (aka Hill Repeats), and 5K run. I finished it Vertical and Moving (my only goal) and enjoyed these highlights:
1. Swim was good, slow as usual, water about 84 so very pleasant. Highlight was when my arms scraped bottom around the 500m buoy and I figured out I could WALK for about 25m - we were swimming over a sandbar!
2. I did beat Ed McCarthy - but then, Ed is 81 years old! He does several tris a year, I want to be just like Ed when I grow up. I didn't beat him by much.
3. I got passed by a 10 year old kid in the run portion. Not the first time that's happened.
4. I have really been working hard on my bike, I got my average speed up to 19.0 mph. Trouble is, so did everyone else in my Age Group. I finished 11th out of 13 in my AG on the bike, and 11th out of 13 in my AG overall. But I beat all those in my AG who stayed home on the couch!
Today's tri had a different meaning for me. My mind kept going to your battle, your marathon, and the way you are touching so many lives around the country. I was swimming, and biking, and running for YOU, Lizzy - time really didn't matter. So much of the tri is solitary, you can't talk while you are swimming and you can't draft or ride with someone on the bike, so I had time to think about how much you will enjoy the runs when you get back on the streets. And about how many lives you have already changed. Lives you haven't yet met, but will one day.
After the tri my (new) wife Wendy and I had breakfast with my son and DIL (who is pregnant with my first grandchild, due in November). I told them your story and how your race for life is touching so many around the world. We prayed for you and your family, for healing and strength and courage. Thank you for making this triathlon the most special of all.

8/26: From Bonnie Broydrick/Singleton, Hingham, MA

Lizzy, because we both love the beach, this AM I drove to Nantasket, a gorgeous beach less than 10 minutes from my house. The weather was sunny and in the sixties and the beach had September written all over it. Almost imperceptible signs that summer is winding down.
As always,the ocean is just amazing and it's a place I've always gone to when I need to feel relaxed peaceful. The sound of the surf, the sounds of seagulls, the smell-there's just nothing like it! I have a song on my ipod--"Oh how happy you have made me" and I always think of running on the beach (although, I know it was written with a person in mind:-)) Now, just after mile 3 there is a big rock that marks my turn around, and I paused there, looking out to where the "ocean meets the sky", and thought of you. Me, looking out at the vast Atlantic Ocean, and soon you will be gazing out over the Pacific Ocean-so, from sea to shining sea, I send my prayers to you.

8/26: From Boyd Lawrence, Dallas, Texas

It was a strange set of circumstances that even exposed me to this site. I was actually looking into running organizations and ran across the name of an old friend associated with the Penguins which, with the help of google, lead me here. Anyway, I needed some inspiration to run and decided to sign up for 08/24/06 since it was also my father's 75th birthday.
On my run day, it was triple digit heat again in Dallas and I was quite fatigued from a softball tournament the weekend before and some outdoor work training. I really didn't want to get out and try to run. I started talking myself out of it..."Hell, I don't even know Liz. Why should I?"
I don't know the power of this stuff, y'know, running for somebody who is ill. But my mother has had 3 bouts with cancer in the past 6 years and I know how important any kind of support seemed to her. And I realized that not meeting Liz personally was irrelevant. What was important was that she needed support and I needed to connect to something, somebody. So I got out there and attempted a 4 mile run with Liz in my thoughts. I know, not much of a run to the marathoner right?
Well, I even had to stop and walk once in order to finish but I did. During the run, I thought about how lucky I was to have my health and how important it was to enjoy it. A recent bout with hypothyroidism and its effects made me question whether I would feel healthy again myself. So though I was struggling, a bit dehydrated, and not in the best of shape, I was happy to do it.
I really need to thank you Liz for staying strong and for having this site. It allowed me to connect to some old thoughts of which I'm not too proud and to appreciate where I've come today and to just appreciate life.
I hope you get to feeling better soon...I really do. And I'm sorry you are struggling with this illness. My thoughts are with you...thank you for this privilege.

8/25: From Louise in MI

Speaking of this week end.........I'm leaving today for Flint, to do the Crim 10 mile. I'm going to need a lot of luck on this one since my training has been "limited". I'll be walking a TON. My knee is a little sore and I
have several run commitments coming up all of a sudden, so I'll be careful. I'd sure planned on being in better shape when I registered for these upcoming events. Stuff happens.
I've created a piece of cotton with printed on it, will pin on my back tomorrow at the Crim. If you're there, and you see me, slow down next to me and introduce yourself! This one's for Lizzie. I hope it
helps her, she will be helping me!
It's raining...........I hope it stops............just checked weather for Flint, rain predicted..............argh!
Good luck tomorrow for anyone else who's out there running/walking/biking/swimming for Lizzie, or just plain out there doing
our thing!
Louise, MI

8/24: From Kecia LiCausi, St. Louis, MO

Hello Liz!
Another prediction run for you last night. It was supposed to be 4.2 miles but this race director is terrible about accuracy and just before the run began she announced that it was really closer 4.5 miles.
My neighbor Deborah is a new runner and she had had a bad day. Work was frustrating, the cat got sick, and then they announced that the distance was longer...and she was worried about going 4.2 to begin with. It was more than she could take and the tears bubbled up. Finally she calmed down and I assured her it was perfectly acceptable to walk. I also told her that I was dedicating this run to you.
It turned out to be a great run. I didn't push too hard but I didn't slack off either. Anyone who accurately predicted their time last night was just lucky because no one really knows how far we ran. One man who is a real life math genius said it was 4.17. It was supposed to have been measured at 4.2, but the race director's GPS said 4.5. So who knows! I trust the math genius the most but by that time it was too late and I was off by a minute and 40 seconds.
After I finished I went back to run Deborah in. She was struggling but she was determined that she was going to run the whole thing. When she finished she told me that YOU were the one that got her thru. She thought about you and your determination and that gave her the courage to continue on. No more tears...she was all smiles!
Sending flipper hugs your way!

8/24: From Karen Getzinger, Redmond WA

Hi Liz,
You're in my prayers everyday. Laguna Beach will be beautiful, just one more week and you'll be there. The run along the river trail that I planned for you yesterday was replaced by a bike ride in the park with my 7 yr old and my 6 and 4 yr old neighbors, all recently off training wheels and thrilled with the freedom of riding fast. It's amazing how fast those little legs can take them on their tiny wheels. My days of jogging along side Meggie on her little bike are long over! But I have a new biking buddy.
Enjoy the beach- sun on your face, sand in your toes, waves crashing, sounds fabulous!
Karen G.

8/24: From Cher in OH

Last night I went to bed feeling like I'd been kicked in the stomach. You see, I had paid a visit to Liz's site at the end of the day. I'm truly having problems understanding why someone could be made to struggle so much.

The pain in her mother's words is very evident.

I woke up this morning with Liz on my mind and headed out for a run. I am not a morning person, never have been and I doubt that I ever will be. But, there is magic in heading out at dawn. Whether I'm heading to the gymor going for a run, the world is a different place at that time of the morning. Morning people are the first to see the changing of the seasons. While it's cold and brisk in March, you see that bright sun coming up earlier and the singing of birds and you just know that spring isn't far behing. The same is true at this time of year. The cool mornings and leaves falling promise the cooler days of fall. The mornings are still dark when I head out these days, so I'm treated to the sunrises.
As I ran this morning, I was deep in thought. For the most part, I was completely oblivious to my surroundings, so much so that I ran right up on one of the golf course workers and just about let out a yell. I caught myself in time and immediately headed back into my zone - the zone where I only had one person on my mind. As I crossed the little footbridge over a creek, I was startled by a heron. It looked beautiful standing in the water with the steam rising around it. There were no further "startlings" on my run, but rather just the enjoyment of thscenery. I said a prayer and made a wish. With all of my heart, I hope that the prayers of this group are answered and Liz returns to good health. I feel so badly for her and her family, and just cannot comprehend what they are going thru. I also am realizing that life is short. This illness struck out of the blue and look at how quickly Liz's life has been turned around. It makes all of my rants and whinings
seem so trivial, well, they are trivial.
I hope that Liz is soon feeling the healing thoughts and that she's able to enjoy HER ocean next weekend.

8/23: From Marjorie Mullaly, Springville, Utah

Sunday I hiked for 3 hours in the Wasatch Mountains and you were in my thoughts and prayers the whole way. Then Tuesday I walked a very hot 7 miles and knew I could finish because I was doing it for you. Keeping you in my daily prayers.

8/23: From Phillip in Sacramento


Good afternoon. It's a picture perfect day in the city situated at the confluence of two rivers and I'm just back from a 5.5 walk which took me by the place it was first discovered.

Couldn't help but having you with me. Couldn't help but thinking of your nice smile. Couldn't help but thinking about how nicely you treated me back in the days of TP West. And certainly couldn't wait to get back hope to share with you a little of my journey.

I'm pretty sure you remember the route...Crocker Park to Discovery Park and back. However, on this day we took it a little farther as we ambled past the archery range that's located just past the half mile marker on the trail.

It's one on those noon times when lots of folks are out enjoying a run, walk or ride on the lunch hour. The weather is near perfect as we hover in the middle 80's on this late August day. Must confess that after the misery of last month's heat our failure to record one day over 100 this month has been a blessing.

Today is type of day where you can envision the coming of fall and one on which you feel you could walk forever. But forever comes rather quickly when you aren't carrying water and have other things on the agenda for the day. So we turn around and head on back knowing that tomorrow will be another time and another stroll.

Liz, sorry for the brevity. Just wanted to let you know that you are in my thoughts and prayers. And that you will also be at my side as I stroll again tomorrow and on Sunday as we spend time along the shores of the American River.

Your friend,


8/23: From Chip Corbin, Denver


I read the update this morning and wanted to remind you that I am thinking about you. I have been running for you too and I have been running a lot more lately usual. When I get home from work and I am tired and I don'tfeel like it, I put on my running shoes and I go and and I run anyway. I push myself to run harder and further and I dedicate those runs to you. My yoga practice too, where there is a lot of healing and spiritual energy sent your way.

You are in my thoughts and prayers,


8/23: From Sue Zooper, Ohio

Tuesdays for Liz. I give you my Tuesdays Lizzy, everything I do is for you. Part of this Tuesday was spent in the familar surroundings of the Cleveland Clinic. Good grief, how sick I am of spending my days in medical facilities. You know, I have been living with my own medical challenges for several years now, and frankly it got darn ugly for a bit.
Since I heard of your diagnosis, I've wanted to say so many things to you. I wanted to tell you there are going to be bad times. Times when the pain envelopes you so much and since there is no escaping it day in day out for days, weeks, months... there are going to be days when you know this is no way to live your life. If this is what the quality of your life has become, it's just not worth it. Days when you say, I want to quit, I can't do this. It's too much to carry constantly. You cry, scream, well you would if you had the energy, but you don't. But there is the promise, and most days, you know deep inside that promise is certain and you have what it takes to get there. Just some days... oh how you pray to God to please get you through just the next few moments, make it end one way or another. You can't think of hours or days, yes, your life is in moments. And thats how you take it. Liz, you can do this, you trained for this. It's the worst marathon you'll ever run, but you KNOW the finish line will come if you just put your head down and concentrate on each step individually. Don't think about the ones that come after that, you're in the BMZ right now. They aren't all going to be bad days, moments. During your journey you will have some of the most remarkable days you will ever experience. The things you will learn about yourself and just about everything else you didn't know you wanted to know about. The people you will meet. Your going to be touched by the most amazing people. I'm certain some of them are angels sent to help you along the way.
This all seemed so appropriate that it came on my day where everything is dedicated to you. The final pieces of my journey have come together this Tuesday. I look where I have been and I'm amazed. I look where you are and the tears come. I feel like I'm passing the baton to you, but it's not a baton I want to pass. I pray for a day when no one has to run this race. Today my day was rich and full of wonderful surprises. Good things are happening with me right now. I signed on today to tell you about my "run" for you and I read what your mother said about where you are. It just seemed the time to tell you all this. I remember a day when I was fighting to accept where I was. Everything seemed so dark and hopeless. Jerry was driving me and we saw the most amazing rainbow. Actaully, it was a double rainbow. I remember thinking back to my youth in bible class and reading why God created the rainbow. Liz, that rainbow was a promise from God to you. This too shall pass.
I had a totally awesome Tuesday, one day I will pass that baton to you too.
Sue Zooper

8/23: From Kitty Cole, Janesville, Wis-cow-sin

Yesterday was the weekly SWAT (Southern Wisconsin Area Triathlon Team) workout: swim in the 50 meter outdoor pool, bike on country roads and run miles on a bike path, finishing with two kick butt hills.
I didn't join in as much with the usual banter and teasing during the workout, rather I wanted to focus on pushing myself and reaching a little deeper. I had a good workout with the best run I've had in months because I'm just about healed from some nagging injuries I've been nursing. Good timing as IronMan is in two weeks and 3 days, but who's counting!!
This past Saturday I participated in a Master's Open Water Swim race, it was the 2.4 miles of the IronMan swim. I've struggled with my swims because when I get bumped, kicked, hit and pushed down, I panic, and then I can't breathe, and then my asthma kicks in and I generally fall apart. I had a breakthrough on Saturday and gave me great hope. I've started "swimming 50's," as my strategy and as a way to focus and it seemed to work. I know how many strokes it takes for me to do a 50 in the outdoor pool, so I count until I do 9 (a quarter mile) and then start over.
When I struggled to reach the summit of Pike's Peak, I counted 100 steps at a time and then started over, 100 more, again and again. The repition allowed my mind to focus and relax at the same time and helped me reach the top. The same thing happened during the swim.
I found I was able to count strokes and still let my brain think about many other things. I was able to think of Liz and the struggle she's in. I was able to think of my son, leaving for Iraq in two days time, leaving from a place so far away I couldn't send him off with a hug or a kiss. So I swam and counted and did the swim with 20 minutes to spare in the IronMan cutoff.
The next day, Sunday, I competed in an International Distance triathlon and once again was faced with the anxiety of the swim. I used my counting strategy again and was able to push myself a bit without losing control and kept my breathing in my comfort zone. I actually passed some people from my wave--a first!
I knew I would be sending this report, letting Liz know I was thinking of her struggle, knowing my struggle was pretty inconsequential compared to hers. For me, it's important to stay strong, push myself to get better and improve, because I can honor others who fight to get strong and get better.
I thought in the race and during my workout how easy it is to say, "I'm tired, I think I'll stop." Liz doesn't have that luxury right now. My son Joe, who is now in Iraq, doesn't have that luxury right now.
So, I will continue to stay as strong as I can, pushing to improve where I can, looking forward to September 10th where I can once again, swim and count stroke after stroke, bike and count stroke after stroke, run and count to 100 if I need to, all to get to the finish line. Hoping that if I\'m strong enough to finish, Liz will be strong enough, others who are ill, will be strong enough and my son will be strong enough.
Hugs Liz,

8/23: From Cher in OH


Last night was the inaugural running of the Corazan Club & Spa Fore Miler. It was a 4 mile race being held in conjunction with the Wendy's Classic LPGA tournament. Since a perk of running the race was 2 all week passes to the tournament, 2 free beers, sandwiches, and the starting line was 2 miles from my house, how could I pass up the opportunity?
I decided to do a warm up by running the 2 miles over to the starting line. I left about an hour before the race so I would have a chance to cool down before the start. Temps were about 85*, but the humidity wasn't bad at all. Once I started running, I felt a nice breeze, but my legs were tight. I didn't figure on having a good race at all. It really didn't matter, since the night was going to be a family affair. My son, Jon, and daughter-in-law, Heather, were both supposed to race and Milt was babysitting the grandbaby. Heather went and got her foot R-U-N-D, rund over, on Sunday, so she backed down to the 1 mile walk.
I guess I forgot to mention that this was a RBJB race. So, who do I see? Not RBJB, but Shelton walking around snapping pics! Shelton threw me on the phone with Harriet, so I got to chat with her and then we gave Shelton his assignment - to make sure that Heather would still get her 2 free beers even though she couldn't run. She was worried.
Ok, the race starts, it's a quick downhill followed by a half mile uphill. I just chugged away. The start was rather crowded so I focused on just getting into a rhythm. My only goal was to run faster than my 4th of July 4 miler, which was a 37:29. I hit the one mile marker in 7:57, that didn't seem right. Oh, I hit it again at 9:09, that's more like it! At this point, the course did a loop around a relatively flat metropark. I was getting tired, but tried to maintain the pace. Mile 2, 9:09. How's that for consistency? Mile 3, 9:08 - getting faster!!! Now, remember the half mile uphill at the start? Well, we got to run back down it at the finish. I was hoping for another 9:09, but was surprised to see the finish line clock displaying 35:xx once I got within it's sight. A llittle sprint up a hill and I'm in at 35:59 - watch time!!! Dropping 30 seconds off of my final mile and a full minute and a half off of my last 4 miler. Jon, the overachiever, finished a full 10 mins in front of me and Heather & Milt enjoyed their walk.
The post race party was rather nice. A good band, good beer, food, etc. We hung out for awhile and baby Alex really enjoyed the music. We stood her up on the table and she was bouncing to the beat. This was her first race and she seemed to enjoy it! She had better get used to it, since I think she'll be going to a bunch more.
It really was a nice evening being able to hang out with family and to visit with Penguins. Harriet was the first Penguin that I'd met, and it's amazing that 10 yrs later we're still friends. I never knew how much a little email list would make an imact in my life.
Oh, and Heather? She's taking lessons from Shelton, when we put the stroller back into the car, goomies spilled out all over the darn place! A true Penguin.
Hope that you're having a good day Liz! Take care.
Love & Peace,

We had such a great response that older Run For Liz reports are on a separate page in order to keep the download speeds reasonable...

click here to go to the archived Run For Liz reports page



The song that is playing is "I Run for Life" by Melissa Etheridge.
One day Liz will be running again, holding a banner of victory and stating that she is running for all who fight for their life as she has.

You can control the playback by using these buttons

The Lyrics:

It's been years since they told her about it
The darkness her body possessed
And the scars are still there in the mirror
Everyday that she gets herself dressed
Though the pain is miles and miles behind her
And the fear is now a docile beast
If you ask her why she is still running
She'll tell you it makes her complete

I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your wife
I run for you and me my friend: I run for life

It's a blur since they told me about it
How the darkness had taken its toll
And they cut into my skin and they cut into my body
But they will never get a piece of my soul
And now I'm still learning the lesson
To awake when I hear the call
And if you ask me why I am still running I'll tell you I run for us all


And someday if they tell you about it
If the darkness knocks on your door
Remember her remember me
We will be running as we have before
Running for answers
Running for more

Chorus second time after 3rd verse:
I run for hope
I run to feel
I run for the truth
For all that is real
I run for your mother your sister your daughter your wife for you and me my friend: I run for life